Do you wish to fly with your pets on Southwest Airlines? If you desire the same, you must check out the Southwest Airlines pet policy. The airline welcomes small vaccinated domestic dogs and cats in domestic flight cabins.
As per the Southwest pet policy, if your pet meets the requirements to travel in the cabin, you must have an approved airline pet carrier. The airline allows a maximum of 6 pets per flight to travel in the cabin. To get further information about the pet policy, you have to get through the whole article.
Are Pets Permitted on Southwest Airlines?
Southwest Airlines only allows pets in the carrier cabin on domestic flights. You are not allowed to fly with pets as checked baggage. In addition to this, the airline doesn’t allow pets in the carrier cabin or as checked baggage on international flights.
Below, we have provided detailed info related to the same. Take a glance at the given information.
Southwest Airlines Pet Travel Policy 2023-24
It is a must to know what to learn before traveling with pets on Southwest Airlines. Here, we have tried our best to include the complete policy for dogs and cats. Let’s move further to get detailed information about the same.
- It is mandatory to inform the airline that you are traveling with pets. Also, the booking can not be made online for pets. However, passengers are allowed to get their boarding pass online.
- You can only fly with your pets in the carrier cabins as the airline currently doesn’t offer checked baggage service for animals.
- The airline only allows you to travel with small cats, dogs, and household birds. Also, the age of kittens and puppies must be at least 8 weeks.
- You are allowed to travel with your pets only on domestic routes. Exploring international routes is not permitted on Southwest Airlines. They do not allow pet service in Hawaii.
- Southwest Airlines doesn’t allow unaccompanied minors to fly with their pets on any flight.
Southwest Airlines pet policy weight limit: 8.5″ high x 18.5″ long x 13.5″ wide.
Before flying with your pets, you have to be sure that your pet is comfortable in the carrier. Including so, the airline will not allow the disruptive behavior of pets on boarding. This behavior includes the following:
- Urinating or defecating in the cabin or gate area
- Excessive barking
- Excessive whining
Pets can freely roam and stand in the carrier and remain inside it during the whole flight. If you are traveling with your pet, the airline will not permit you to sit on the exit row seat or the bulkhead.
Southwest Airlines Pet Policy Emotional Support
- According to Southwest Airlines pet policy law enforcement and emotional support policy, trained pets are permitted to travel in the cabins on all international and domestic flights.
- If your pets are trained in the duties of law enforcement in the cabin, they will be allowed to fly on Southwest Airlines free of cost. In such a case, a certificate letter will be required.
- Service animals cannot behave disruptively during the whole flight. If so, the owner of the pet will be responsible for it.
- You must provide the Transportation form issued by the US Department for all service animals.
- It is a must to provide verbal assurance related to animal training. The airline will not accept ID Cards or registry paperwork as training proof.
If you still have doubts regarding Southwest Airlines pet policy service dogs & cats, contact one of their live people to get immediate answers. They are available all around the clock to provide immediate assistance.
How Much is the Southwest Airlines Pet Travel Fee?
Southwest Airlines pet travel fee is subject to a $95 Pet Fare each way. Here, you will get further details regarding the pet travel fee of Southwest Airlines.
- Well, the Southwest pet travel fares are completely refundable. In case, you are unable to travel with your pet and want to cancel your booking, you can do it freely. As the airline will refund the whole amount within a given time.
- To request a refund, you may contact Southwest Airlines at any time or get through its official website.
- Pet travel fares may or may not be changed as per the pet policy 2023. So, you must frequently visit the official website to know the exact fee.
For Domestic Flights
To travel on domestic flights, you can make reservations by dialing the Southwest Airlines pet customer service number. You must bring your pet in the carrier on the travel day to the airport. And then, pay the fee at the ticket counter before the flight’s departure.
For International Flights
As per the pet policy, you cannot bring your pets on the international flight. For further info, check out the official website of the airline.
In-Cabin Pet Carrier Requirements
If you are in search of the pet carriers’ requirements, the given facts may help you with the same. Here, we have listed all the in-cabin pet carrier requirements. Let’s have a look at the given points.
- The dimensions of Southwest Airlines Pet Carrier must be 17” long x 9.5” high x 10” wide. And, the maximum dimensions for other carriers is 18.5” long x 8.5” high x 13.5” wide.
- The pet carrier must be hard-sided and Soft-sided. Also, it must be ventilated and airtight.
- Ensure that the pet carrier can easily fit under the seat.
- You can only travel with one pet carrier per flight ticket.
- The pet must be able to move around the carrier and stand up with ease. And, you can easily fit the carrier under your seat.
- The airline will not be responsible for the security of your pet under the seat. You have to make sure that your pet is secured in the pet carrier during the whole flight.
Now, you may look at the pet carrier restrictions during the flight.
Pet Carrier Restrictions
Are you surely traveling with your pet on Southwest Airlines? Check out the underneath restrictions of pet carriers. You are restricted to follow up on the given points while flying with your pets.
- To travel in the pet carrier cabin, your pet must be of age at least 8 weeks.
- Pets’ disruptive behavior will not be allowed by the airline. Pets must remain in the carrier during the whole flight.
- Also, it is a must to stow the carrier under the seat in front of passengers while traveling.
- The airline will not provide oxygen or other first aid if pets become ill while traveling.
- You must know that Southwest Airlines will not provide oxygen masks for dogs or cats at the time of emergency.
- The airline will not accept pets flying without their owner or passenger.
- If you are an unaccompanied minor, the airline will not permit you to travel with pets.
- Additionally, you will not be allowed to travel with pets in carrier cabins on international flights.
- If you want to fly with your pet, it will be restricted to select an exit row seat. Also, the airline will permit pets only in the carrier cabin; not as checked baggage.
- The maximum number of pets is 6 as per the Southwest Airlines pet travel policy. It may or may not be changed as per the scheduled flight. For the correct info, you may visit the official website of the airline at any time.
- Sharing a pet carrier with a trained service animal is not allowed in Southwest.
- In case you have missed a flight because of taking your pet to an outside area, the airline will not be accountable for it.
It is mandatory to be aware of the aforementioned restrictions if you have decided to fly with pets on Southwest Airlines. Feel free to contact a live person at the airline at any time.
Want to Learn More?
Are you still looking for additional information regarding Southwest Airlines Pet Policy 2023? No worries as you are free to connect with live representatives of the airline at any time.
If you feel hesitant dialing Southwest Airlines customer service pet policy, post a forum on the social media platform. Or, you can connect with live representatives via email or by visiting the official email ID of the airline.
See More Blog: Southwest Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy